It’s August and the tomatoes are growing like weeds in my garden. This year I think I went overboard and planted way too many tomatoes, so here are some new and unique salad recipes that I wanted to share with you that might help you out if the tomatoes seem to be coming out of your ears and you don’t want to waste them.
The first is a Balsamic Vinegar Tomato Salad. This recipe is simple and you’re bound to have the ingredients on hand already, which will make this recipe a sure fire win! If you really want to spruce this one up, try adding a few black olives and small cubes of feta cheese. This one looks very fancy on a plate and it tastes like you put way more effort into it than you actually did – that’s my favorite type of recipe!
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 T. Olive Oil
- 1-2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
- Pepper, to taste
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Slice up washed tomatoes.
- Arrange along with sliced onion overlapping on a platter.
- Sprinkle with vinegar and oil.
- Sprinkle with basil, pepper and garlic powder.
This next salad recipe that I have for you utilizes one of my other favorite types of produce… Avocado! This avocado/tomato clash is absolutely outstanding. Be sure to try this spiced up salad and share with all your tomato lover friends out there, because with two different types of tomatoes you are not going to want to miss this one. Try this recipe on a slice of toast for a breakfast “salad” or add shrimp to make it a complete meal for dinner!
- 1 Large Tomato, sliced in thick slices
- ½ Avocado, sliced
- 2 Slices Red Onion, sliced thin
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Tarragon
- 1 T. Fruity Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Champagne Vinegar
- Put tomatoes, avocado and sliced onion on a small plate, sprinkle with tarragon leaves and dress with olive oil and vinegar.
- Add kosher salt or sea salt and some pepper to taste.
This final recipe is perfect for everyone that has another garden-fresh favorite that seems to be growing out of their ears… Cucumbers! Make this refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad on a warm day when you just can’t stand the idea of turning on your oven. It is light and has the perfect amount of sweetness that will definitely make you take a second helping!
- 1 Lb. Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- ½ Red Onion, sliced
- 2 Avocados, diced
- 2 T. Sunflower Oil
- Juice of 1 Medium Lemon
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
- Place chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, diced avocado and chopped cilantro into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with two T. of sunflower oil and two T. of lemon juice.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Just before serving, toss with one tsp. sea salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
In all three recipes I was able to use the English Cucumbers, Roma Tomatoes and even fresh Basil that I grew in my garden this year. All three recipes are so yummy and so easy to make. I just love the taste of all the fresh vegetables out of my garden.
Get outside and enjoy the rest of your summer because fall is right around the corner!
Deli & Bakery Merchandising Specialist Team Manager
Click Here for more articles written by Jayne