This Apple Cider Bean Salad is great as an appetizer, a side dish for dinner or part of an easy lunch. Detailed recipe and nutrition information can be found at the National Kidney Foundation Website. This recipe is appropriate for individuals with diabetes, CKD Stage 1, 2, CKD Stage 3, 4, and transplant. For more information, please visit the National Kidney Foundation Website.
- ¾ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Green Pepper, chopped
- ½ Cup Canned Pimento
- ⅓ Cup Frozen Corn
- ¾ Cup Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ Cup Canned Black Beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce, lower sodium
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- In a saucepan, stir apple cider and sugar and bring to a boil, until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil and soy sauce. Set aside for later.
- Rinse canned black beans and kidney beans for 2 minutes.
- *Optional step to lower potassium: using the process of blanching, boil black beans and kidney beans for 1 minute, drain, and set aside to cool or rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, add black beans, kidney beans, corn, pimentos, green peppers, and onion.
- Transfer apple cider mixture and soy sauce mixture to the large bowl and mix well together.
Recipe provided with permission from the National Kidney Foundation. Detailed recipe and nutrition information can be found at the National Kidney Foundation Website.