- 3 cinnamon sticks plus additional for serving
- 8 cups apple cider (1/2 gallon) or apple juice
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dark rum (optional)
- In large saucepot, combine cinnamon sticks, apple cider, cranberry juice, brown sugar, orange zest, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Stir in rum, if desired. Ladle cider into mugs or hollowed-out apples and garnish with cinnamon sticks.