BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich with Avocado Slaw
- 2 ½ Cups Young Green Jackfruit (or 40 oz. canned jackfruit in water)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- ¾ Cup BBQ Sauce
- 4-6 100% Whole Wheat Buns
- 2 Cups Broccoli Slaw
- ½ Ripe Avocado
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Lemon or Lime, juiced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Water, to thin
For Avocado Slaw
- Thoroughly dry jackfruit. Cut off center "core" portion of fruit and discard.
- Put jackfruit in medium mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and chili powder in with jackfruit and mix until well coated.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp canola oil and add seasoned jackfruit. Toss gently with tongs and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce to skillet, adding small amount of water if needed. Mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While jackfruit is simmering, make slaw by adding avocado, maple syrup, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Thin with small amount of water to desired consistency.
- Add broccoli slaw and toss to coat. Set in refrigerator until jackfruit is ready.
- Once jackfruit is almost done simmering, shred into smaller pieces with two forks, if desired. Then increase heat to medium-high for 2-3 minutes before removing from heat.
- Scoop BBQ jackfruit into buns. Top with avocado slaw.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker