Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 10 ounces pasta, dry
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add butternut squash. Cook until squash is softened and drain. Alternatively, microwave squash until softened (about 4-5 minutes).
- Prepare pasta according to box. Drain and set aside.
- Place squash and vegetable brith in food processor or blender. Pulse until mixture is smooth. Add water by 1/4 teaspoon if mixture is too firm.
- Heat butter over medium-low heat until melted in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in garlic powder, milk and squash . Continue to whisk for another 1-2 minutes mixture thickens.
- Once thickened, add cheese and whisk until melted (about 5 minutes). Stir mixture into pasta.