Cuban Ropa Vieja Freezer Meal
- 6 Strips of Low Sodium Turkey Bacon, chopped
- 2 Sirloin Steaks (3/4 Lb. Each)
- 1 Can (28 Oz.) No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Beef Stock
- 1 Can (6 oz) No Salt Added Tomato Paste
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Medium Green Pepper, cut into Strips
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Package of Whole Grain Brown Rice, microwavable
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a tongs and place on paper towel to absorb excess fat.
- Sear the steak on both sides.
- In the same skillet, heat the bacon drippings over medium-high heat; brown the steak in batches. Transfer meat and bacon to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, garlic, seasonings, and vegetables. Pour over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks and continue to cook in the slow cooker for 15-30 minutes.
- When it's done cooking, feel free to pour into a tin foil pan. Then freeze until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge and bake in the oven at 350 F for about 20-30 until proper internal temperatures are reached.