- 1 Tbsp. Canola Oil or Olive Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mushroom, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Green Pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 Can (15 Oz.) Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can (15 Oz.) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Suggested Toppings:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Black Olives
- Sliced Avocado
- Light Sour Cream (or Try Plain, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion (as well as mushrooms and green pepper if you choose). Cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add in kidney beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir well and let simmer for a few minutes.
- While that is cooking, tear the corn tortillas into small pieces- about 2 in squares.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. In the baking dish, layer the ingredients in the following order: half of the tortilla pieces, half of the beans and tomato mixture, and 1/2 Cup of cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients for second layer.
- Bake (uncovered) for 20 minutes at 350 F. Let cool for 2-5 minutes.
- Top with shredded lettuce, black olives, light sour cream and avocados.
Recipe provided by Reach Up Head Start, Early Head Start. Get more recipes here.