Fennel Pasta with Kale Pesto
- 3 Tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces dry pasta of choice
- 1 jar Freak Flag Foods Super Kale Pesto
- Put a large pot of well-salted water on to boil.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add onion and cook gently for 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- Increase heat to medium, add sliced fennel, and sauté gently for additional 6-8 minutes or until fennel is tender and slightly caramelized. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Once fennel is almost cooked, add pasta to boiling water and cook to al dente.
- Drain pasta (reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water) and toss with onion and fennel mixture in pan, adding pasta water if needed.
- Add kale pesto and combine.
- Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.