Fried Mac & Cheese Bites
Mac & Cheese:
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 3 tbsps butter, unsalted
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and salt. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles.
- Slowly whisk in milk, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in shredded cheese until melted; remove from heat and fold in cooked pasta.
- Spray 6 inch square pan with cooking spray. Spoon macaroni mixture into pan; packing lightly. Chill for at least 1 hour or until cooled.
- In 3 separate bowls, place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Cut chilled macaroni into bite size pieces.
- Cover each bite size piece lightly into flour, then dunk into eggs and finish by covering with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil on stove or in deep fryer. Fry in batches for 1 – 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towel and serve hot.
*Recipe adapted from Crystal Farms