Grilled Watermelon Salad
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 seedless watermelon (about 3 to 4 pounds), rind removed, cut into 2-inch-thick half moons
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach for garnish (optional)
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of onion rounds with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place watermelon and onion on hot grill rack; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until watermelon and onion are charred, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut watermelon into about 1-1/2-inch chunks and chop the onion. In large bowl, toss cheese, vinegar, salt, pepper, watermelon, onion and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Serve immediately over arugula, if desired. Makes about 7 cups.