Hearty Instant Pot Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 4 Oz. Crimini or White Button Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 Cup Lentils, dry
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 2 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 3 Cups of Kale, chopped and massaged (see instructions)
- Green Onions, chopped
- Soup Crackers, optional
- Wash and prep all produce per ingredient list (chopped, etc.).
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, butternut squash and garlic. Sauté until garlic is fragrant.
- Cancel the SAUTE setting and add in the following ingredients to the sautéed vegetables: lentils, diced tomatoes, thyme, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, broth and lemon juice. Seal the Instant Pot with the lid and set to MANUAL on HIGH pressure for 16 minutes. Be sure the steam release valve is sealed/closed. Once the 16 minutes are up, allow the steam to naturally release for 3-5 minutes before opening the lid.
- While the soup is cooking, wash and chop about 3 cups of Kale and place in a medium bowl. Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil and a pinch of salt over the kale and gently massage the kale with your fingers for about 3 minutes or so. Set aside.
- Once the soup is all done, stir gently to be sure all ingredients are combined. Add in chopped kale and stir again.
- Serve immediately with chopped green onions and cheese (such as parmesan) as a garnish. Enjoy!