Hearty Mushroom and Tomato Risotto
- 1 Container Forest Mushrooms (We love the shiitake!), sliced
- 3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Shallots, finely chopped
- 3/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 6 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 12 Oz. Arborio rice
- 1/4 Cup Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 Oz. Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Container Bushel Boy Grape Tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Basil and Chives
- Fresh Parsley Sprigs, for garnish
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes, until caramelized.
- In the last 3 minutes, add shallots with an additional 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and cook until softened.
- Once the shallots are softened, add white wine and cook until reduced. Set aside
- While mushrooms are cooking, add vegetable stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once the stock is boiling, add rice and boil for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, drain the rice over a glass or metal bowl, reserving the stock.
- Spread the rice out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Add blanched rice to the mushroom/shallot mixture. Gradually stir in the reserved stock, a little at a time, continuing to add just enough to achieve a creamy consistency. Cook until the grains are just al dente, which is soft but still a bit crunchy.
- Add mascarpone and half the Parmesan to the rice mixture.
- Once cheese is melted, stir in the chopped tomatoes and herbs.
- Top with remaining Parmesan and parsley sprigs just for serving.