I can’t believe Christmas is right around the corner! Even though I try to get my shopping done early, there always seems to be a need for last minute gift ideas. Running out to the store isn’t always an option, so here’s a couple gift ideas that I was able to make with things around the house.
My husband is always working on some project or another so we always seem to have 2×4 scraps on hand. So, I grabbed a couple, sanded them a bit and grabbed my paint. These are a fun project to do with kids as well and once again, there is no wrong way to do them! Any length of board will work and there are so many options including snowmen, penguins, reindeer or santa.
Since I do a little bit of sewing, I had some extra fabric laying around. This quick sewing project makes an awesome gift and can literally be made in less than 10 minutes. The even better part… there’s no wrong size to make them! I had a fat quarter that I cut in half to make into 2 rice packs.
Here’s how to make them:
- Fold the fabric in half with the colorful side facing itself.
- Sew a quarter inch seam down both long sides and one of the short sides.
- Flip fabric right side out.
- Sew a seam across the middle leaving about an inch open on each side for the rice to fall through.
- Depending on how long your rice pack is, make 2 more seams across to divide the pack into 4 sections allowing about an inch of space on sides for the rice to move between sections.
- Fill with rice till bottom 3 sections are filled with rice (or about 75% full).
- Tuck edges of the open edge inside, pinning if needed, and sew a quarter inch seam across to close the rice pack.
These homemade rice packs are so nice in the winter. Just put them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and they are perfect to wrap around your neck or warm up your feet. They can also be kept in the freezer to use as an cold pack. Their versatility makes these a great Christmas gift!
When you’re in a pinch and don’t have the option of utilizing things from around the house… a gift basket is always a quick, easy and thoughtful gift to pick up and put together. This gift basket has all sorts of awesome J.R. Watkins products in it, all of which can be picked up at your local Coborn’s store!
Hopefully these ideas come in useful to help make your Holiday Season a success!
Coborn’s Inc. Graphic Designer