- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips, bittersweet, dark or semisweet
- ½ Cup Butter, unsalted or canola oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅓ Cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- 8 Graham Crackers, whole sheets and coarsely crushed
- ½ Cup Peanut Butter, creamy
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F; spray 7½ x 10½-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and butter in microwave oven on high 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 20 seconds; stir until smooth and cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in applesauce and chocolate mixture until just combined. Fold in graham crackers and peanut butter; spread in prepared dish.
- Bake brownie 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool on wire rack and cut into 12 brownies. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Substitute 1 cup coarsely crushed cookies or other variety of graham crackers for the graham cracker sheets; substitute sunflower, almond or other nut butter for the peanut butter.
Recipe can also be prepared in an 8-inch square baking dish; bake for 45 minutes and cut into 16 brownies.