- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef (93% lean)
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 3 Sweet Peppers (Red, Orange, and Yellow)
- Plain, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Start by preparing the meatballs. Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine Ground Beef, bread crumbs, egg, water, garlic, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. [Note: Add 1/2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning if using plain breadcrumbs.]
- Shape into twelve 2-inch meatballs. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400°F oven 20 to 27 minutes. **Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the sweet peppers for the "feathers" of the turkey. Slice 3 sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange) into thin slices. Set aside.
- Once the meatballs have reached internal temperature of 160 degrees F, it's time to start assembling they turkeys. On a plate, fan out 4-5 slices of peppers then add one meatball. The peppers are the turkey's feathers, the meatball is the body of the turkey. Continue to assemble the remaining turkeys. Add small pieces of orange peppers as the beak, and you can add small dollops of greek yogurt as the eyes.
Use Italian bread crumbs for extra flavor. If using plain, whole wheat breadcrumbs, add 1/2 Tbsp of Italian Seasoning for extra flavor.
Meatball recipe provided by the MN Beef Council