Vegetable Grilling Tips
There’s nothing complicated about grilling vegetables – just choose your favorites, chop, and throw on the grill. Here are just a few helpful hints we’ve found that can make you look and feel like an old pro:
- Start with clean grates and lightly coat the surface with oil using a cloth or grill spray prior to preheating the grill. The oil will seal the pores of the grate’s surface and minimize sticking. Tossing vegetables in a little oil is another no-stick trick.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high heat. If you can hold your hand five inches above the grill for only three to four seconds, then the heat is just right.
- Cut vegetables into equal-sized pieces to ensure vegetables will be finished cooking at the same time.
- Turn the vegetables every three minutes or so for even cooking, and remove from grill before getting too soft. They’ll continue cooking after being removed from the grill.
- For a flavor boost, marinate vegetables in equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, marjoram and/or rosemary, and salt and pepper.