A heart smart breakfast is made quick and simple with these Walnut & Oat Crusted Veggie Egg Cups, the perfect grab-and-go breakfast that are great for meal prep for the week.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cold Water
- 9 Large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Stone Ground Dijon Mustard
- 1 C. Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 3/4 C. Extra Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F and generously spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the oats until fine and flour-like. Add the walnuts and pulse until blended with oat flour. Pulse in the olive oil, salt and water until the mixture comes together.
- Spoon walnut-oat crust mixture evenly (about 1 ¼ tablespoons each) into each muffin cup and press it into the bottom and part way up the sides. Bake 25 minutes, until crust begins to brown. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, garlic powder, oregano and mustard thoroughly until well combined. Stir in spinach, bell pepper and cheese.
- Fill each muffin cup evenly with egg-veggie mixture and bake 20 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Cool slightly on a wire rack before removing the egg cups by carefully inserting a sharp knife between the crust and the muffin pan.
Recipe and photo shared with permission by CA Walnuts