Walnut Meat Empanadas with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 C. of Assorted Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 C. California Walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil, plus additional for brushing surface
- 1/2 C. Finely Chopped Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 C. Finely Chopped Roasted Red Pepper
- 1/2 C. Tomato Sauce or Puree
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 16 Small Empanada Skins or 4-inch Puffed Pastry or Pie Dough Circles*
- 2/3 C. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 of a Small Bunch Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- *A 14.1-oz. packaged of refrigerated pie dough will yield 16 circles.
Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Place mushrooms in a food processor and process until finely ground. Remove and add walnuts; process until finely ground.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, walnuts and onion; cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture is nicely browned and all liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic.
- Add red pepper, tomato sauce, soy sauce and seasonings. Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay dough circles on a flat surface and spoon equal amounts of filling into the center of each. Brush the edges with a little water and fold in half. Crimp with a fork to seal in filling and place on baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- While empanadas are baking, place all dressing ingredients in a small blender or food processor and puree until smooth, or place ingredients in a deep bowl and puree with a stick blender.
- Serve warm empanadas with yogurt sauce.
Recipe and image shared with permission by CA Walnuts. Original recipe by Maria Koutsogiannis.