Walnut Pear Yam Skillet
Sweet meets savory in this yam and pear side dish.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 3 1/2 Cups, peeled and cubed yam (about 3/4-in cubes)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup California Walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1 Large Firm (but ripe) Pear (try a red Anjou pear!)
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Heat oil in a very large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add yam and onion and cook for 15 minutes to lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Add water, basil and salt; cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes more or until onion is very soft.
- Remove cover and stir in walnuts and pear; cook for 5 minutes more or until pear is heated through and soft. Stir in vinegar and season with pepper.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Recipe shared with permission from CA Walnuts