- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat White Flour
- 1/2 Cup Ground Flaxseed (if you are not using ground flaxseed, add in 1 whole cup of flour whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Finely Grated Zucchini, drained
- 1/2 Cup Finely Grated Carrot, drained
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the melted butter, maple syrup, egg, apple sauce and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until just barely combined.
- Add the grated zucchini carrots. Mix until well combined.
- Add batter to the muffin tin, filling each one about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Dietitian's Tips: This is a great recipe to make at the beginning of the week for an easy, grab & go breakfast for busy mornings!
For an extra sweetness, add in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips into the batter along with the grated carrots and zucchini.